Hello. Is it me you’re looking for?

Oh the ever inevitable blog hiatus.

Friends and knitters, life throws us curve balls, hail storms and road blocks. In this year of 2014 I think I got thrown all three (and MORE).

It all started in January when my son experienced a very long hospital stay. Things had been fishy from the time he was born. There were moments when he wasn't himself and no doctor could exactly tell me why. We had two shorter hospital stays which resulted in diagnoses of reflux or migrane headaches. In wasn't until after that last major hospital stay he was finally diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder called Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood. It's one of those, "Wait, that exists?" type of things. You can read more of that story on the Cure AHC website. To say it was a blow to me in every way is an understatement.

Despite my ever positivity on the matter, the anxiety and stress of that dianosis sucked every creative juice from my body. In fact I am a surprised I got my part of the From Mama,With Love out the door but I had such a wonderful support group in the other designers that it wasn't as hard as it could have been. I even squeeked out a project for Knit Collage in there (more at another time!). But honestly, overall I didn't feel like knitting a single stitch… and that lasted for a long time.

Mauvesleeve

Since then, I've slowly been coming out of my creative fog. I started a new pattern (my own) and a new simple yet beautiful project from Carrie Bostick Hoge, her cardigan/shrug - Maeve. The simple stockinette and garter stitches of that pattern have been a lifesaver – slowly knitting me back to my former self.

Of course, just when things are getting good they get a little bit crazier…

Soon after we learned of James diagnosis we found out that we were expecting another baby!! A bit of a surprise but one we are so thankful for. As James grows and explores his world we are so grateful that he'll have a best friend along for the crazy ride. While I am speeding closer to my due date, I am still not over the fact that I am going to have TWO children at year's end but I am beyond excited.

Finally, perhaps the best piece to my return to form is that we moved to a new home in July. This transition has been so uplifting. It's amazing the change in attitude and mood one can have when you are in a space you love. I even think James' overall self and attiude has improved. It's definitely a change that has been a blessing.

All these mega, huge, and colassal things have brought me back to a point where I feel like I can blog again. I am excited again. I can share again.

I am not promising a ton of posts but I think I owe it to myself to enter back into this arena. I feel ready and am inspired by so many projects and knitting relationships!

I do plan on sharing my experience with raising James with AHC and may throw in some anecdotes of him and our journey. So bare with me on that. You can always skip forward to the knitting! But if you know me, you know I am so proud of my son and I know his life is going to be a truly fulfilled and blessed one.

If you happen to still have my link dear reader… thank you! I appreciate not being deleted. And thank you in advance for your thoughts, prayers, congrats and hopes… it's truly community that strengthens.

While I haven't knit much, knitting is always on my mind, especially Elizabeth Zimmermann and her powerful words of wisdom:

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises.

Green mustachios!

And I believe me I certainly will try.

Love and Knitting,
M

18 thoughts on “Hello. Is it me you’re looking for?

1. Denise Dalton says:

Margaux! I posted my FB comment before I read your post, worried that I was being insensitive and now I want to UNDERLINE it. Sometimes I wonder if knitters are better prepared for these life challenges: we can envision the whole where others see some sticks and string, and we know that even with some unintended diversions from the pattern, what we make is beautiful.
    I’m grateful to see you back in the blogs, knitter friend, and I look forward to hearing more!

2. cara says:

I loved seeing you and your big belly! Nd hearing all bout James and his adventures! With you guys as his parents, he has no choice but a bright bright future!!
    And thanks for the push to blog. I have got to get off my ass….
    Love you!!!

3. jennafer says:

Lovely to see you blogging again; lovely to see both of your green-mustached smiling faces; lovely to hear you are expecting again, and, maybe most lovely of all, keep the news coming about AHC! The better educated we all are, the more we can do as a community.
    p.s. Thought of you yesterday when I was getting my hair cut and there was a Stella & Dot catalogue on the table ๐Ÿ™‚

4. marissa says:

It’s nice to see you on your blog again! Kids’ illnesses are so hard for us parents!!! Do share your experiences here, I will appreciate learning about your James’ (cuz I have a James, too!) illness!

5. deathgripknitter says:

It is good to hear from you again! I’m glad you are getting to a place where you can put one foot in front of the other, type one word after another, and wrap the yarn to stitch again. Hugs to you!

6. Julie says:

oh, that is indeed a lot to handle in a year, and I hope that you coping well with all the big changes going on. As someone who also has spent some time with specialists and getting tests done on my little one, it’s so tough to go through.big hugs!

7. Bekah says:

Welcome back!
    Sounds like there has been a lot going on – but I’m so glad knitting has been there for you… It really is more than just about the making, it can be so theraputic! ((Hugs))
    And congratulations about the new baby – will there be little knits on the needles then? ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Melissa says:

It was so great to see your blog pop up in my reader! Congrats on your pregnancy and thank you for sharing your family’s story. Hoo boy, is James ever a cutie!

9. Beverly says:

I am so glad to see you back and now understand why you’ve been silent on the bog for so long. I am amazed at your strength and resilience about your son’s condition. I read the entry on the AHC site and about the symptoms and can’t imagine having to worry about your little one like you do. Good luck to you both and I hope that your knitting can be both your refuge from the worry and your outlet for stress relief. Sounds like you need it.
    Also, congrats on the second pregnancy! I hope your new little one is healthy and happy!

10. Mary says:

It was recommended that I start reading blogs. However, having just retired as a Mental Health Therapist, I wanted to read something of interest, knitting and inspiring, your blog! Thank you and prayers and positive thoughts for your little guy.
    Happy knitting from Portland Oregon where we have three beautiful lys on SW and NW 11th:). Yes it is raining but as a jersey shore gal in my youth, what’s a little rain:)

11. Mara says:

Hey Margeaux, Welcome back girl! You have been missed! I just read your story on the AHC website. Wow. James may have some challenges ahead, but he’s so lucky and blessed to have you and your family to give him the support he will need. I’ll keep you all in my prayers! Congrats on the move and pregnancy! Looking forward to reading your blog again and hopefully will run into you in the knitting world soon!
    -Mara