5th Avenue

Patricia and I have a friend we call Diva Jess.  She's works in the fashion industry and always gives us the scoop on what the trends are.  She came into the shop like a storm a few weeks ago and told us that we HAD to cast on righthisverymoment for an infinity scarf. "They're Everywhere!", she said.  Sure enough in a lot of catalogs and magazines it's been hard to not notice the infinity scarf.  I have been so excited about making one for myself and here it is!

5th Avenue

EDITED October 2011

Pattern: 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf (my own – queue it up!)
Yarn: The Fibre Co, Canopy Worsted, 5 skeins
Needles: Size US8 [5mm] 40 inch circular
Gauge: 20 sts over 4" in pattern

The Pattern:
CO 240, make sure you're not twisting stitches Place Marker and join in round

1st Rnd: Knit all stitches
2nd Rnd: *YO, K2tog*, repeat * * to marker.
3rd Rnd: Knit all stitches
4th Rnd: *Slip 1, K1, Pass Slipped Stitch Over (PSSO), YO*, repeat * * to marker.

Repeat 4 rows until desired width.  My scarf measures approx 60 inches around and 10 inches wide.

For a chunkier, cowl like version – check out the Fifth Avenue Cowl!

ETA:  With the huge popularity with this pattern I though I would write a quick note to help those having problems.  The number of stitches never changes throughout the pattern.  Each K2tog is paired with a YO (as each Slip 1, K1, PSSO is paired with a YO) if you find that you are increasing or decreasing your stitches in anyway then you missed or added a YO.  In Row 4 you should be slipping the knitted YO from Row 2 and knitting the knit stitch.  In Row 2, you should be inserting your needle first into the knitted YO then the knit stitch for your K2tog.    I hope this helps and I'm really truly humbled and excited so many are making one!

5th Avenue

The scarf is so versatile.  It's long enough to wear it all cozied up around your neck or just draped low.  You could also wrap it around your head like a hood when the weather really gets cold.  Not to mention the yarn is luxuriously soft!  The only thing some people working with the dark Worsted Canopy may notice is that the yarn bleeds while you work with it.  I got to see the Kelbourne Woolen ladies yesterday at Rheinbeck (SO FUN by the way!) and they said the dye is set it just needs an extra soak.

IMG_6236

I plan on making many more for friends and family especially with the holidays coming up! And now that you know what to do Go cast one on rightthisveryminute!

Related articles

New Pattern: Hudson Cowl

91 thoughts on “5th Avenue

1. Aleks says:

I just saw these mentioned in Lucky Magazine and though “hey, I can make that.” Well, you’ve helped me get past my lazy hurdle of having to design one myself. (: Thanks for the great pattern! (:

2. jillian says:

I had been seeing these too, and thinking how interesting it is that knitwear has become more mainstream. Of course, I had to make my own, I couldn’t buy one right? Now I have the perfect pattern – thank you!

3. Jen says:

Looks great! Thanks for the pattern–I’ll definitely be making one. Or more than one…what a great gift this’d make…hmmm. Double-thanks!

4. Connie G. says:

My sister just asked for a “circular scarf” like she saw in one of the department stores, so thank you so much for the perfect birthday gift. My only question is which stash yarn to make this from….or, maybe, I need to go shopping!

5. tentenknits says:

youre definitely not going to need 1000 yards! I used 5 skeins of Canopy which does equal to about 500 but I also just finished another using just 450 yards… i think just work to the width/length you like!

6. peggy roalf says:

i think there’s an error — this is a mobius, yes? in that case the stitches should be twisted once before joining to knit in the round…

7. Ava says:

UGH – I cast on, was doing swimmingly, the cat got tangled up in the knitting, she pulled out some stitches, I thought I put them back on properly, and now I have a mobius! UGH! Do you think it will matter or will it “magically” not go round my neck when I twist it. Honestly, this is such a rookie mistake, except it really was the cat’s fault . . . grrr!

8. Sue (redfern) says:

This is gorgeous! I am casting on tonight. I noticed a couple of Ravelry users posted corrections in their comments – is there something I should be doing differently than your pattern above?
    Thanks =)

Loved this pattern, just finished my first scarf. I used a similar weight yarn and same size needle and it came out longer than I’d hoped, wrapped around 3x instead of 2 so I’ll probably CO 161 next time around. I’m hoping to make a few more as holiday gifts!

10. Janna Melton says:

I accidentally came across your blog and I am loving it, along with this scarf! You have inspired me to start knitting again. I wonder how many of these I can knit before Christmas. Thanks!!

11. Mary Bragg says:

I am still not getting it right. row 1 ; Knit. Got it. Row 2: k2 tog, Y/O. Good. Row 3: i s this where I knit the yarn iver before the reg k stitch? love the scarf but I am not getting it and not wanting to give up, either. Help!

12. delaney says:

Hi…this is probably a question with an obvious answer, but I don’t know it….when I slip the stitch do I insert my needle as to purl or knit before I slip it, or does it make a difference

13. Margie says:

I purchased yarn, worsted weight Berroco Ultra Alpaca (#8 needles, 5 sts = 1″) and started my swatch to check the pattern. My swatch does not look like the sample photo which I love!! Since my swatch is not in the round, I am purling rows 1 & 3. The yo’s are causing much bigger holes in my sample and resulting in a more lacy look, which I do not love. I have tried slipping the stitch as if to knit and then as if to purl. Which way do you slip the stitch? Also, you say the slipped stitch is the yo from row 2. I can’t see how to do that without dropping the knitted stitch in row 3, so I am acutally slipping the row 3 stitch knitted into the slipped stitch. I really want my scarf to look like yours. HELP!! Thanks.

14. Rachel says:

I’m looking for an easy hat to re-learn how to knit. Since it’s a snowy weekend I’d like to use what I have but my circular needles are 24″ and most patterns use 16″. Any ideas? (I also have straight needles but not double pointed.)

15. Alessia says:

I love this pattern and I love the way you share your pattern and ideas with us! Thank you so much!!
    I’d like to link it in my blog, do you think it’s possible? And could I use your photo linking at it?
    Alessia

16. Elaina Tapscott says:

I would LOVE this in a true mobius pattern. If you ever come up with a pattern for it, please send it to me or post it. Gorgeous!

17. Renna says:

I’d like to get started on this for a Christmas gift. I only have size 8 circulars in a 29″, and live in a small town with no yarn shops. Do you think it could be done on 29″ length, or should I bite the bullet and order the 40″?
    I love the scarf! 🙂