Tenten’s Big Adventure

All that I can carry.

It sounds like I'm about to tell you all how someone stole my favorite bike and now I have to go to the basement of the Alamo to find it… alas, no, not really.

It's snow day number 4 for us here at Tenten. 19 inches(!) has reportedly dropped on my mile square town and the way our car looked this morning I'd say that was pretty spot on! At this rate, I may never work another full week for the rest of this year.

I say that in all honesty because come March this girl and her blog are moving to San Francisco, CA.

Yup, you heard me right. J and I are packing up and moving cross the country!

I am filled with so many emotions about this new adventure.  I am SO excited to be able to start something new, to concentrate more on my knitting and maybe (finally!) be able to offer you all a pattern or two that you're waiting for…(I know, I know!)  I am excited for my husband who worked so hard for this promotion and who deserves to take this chance.  I know he knows how much I am sacrificing for this move and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for him.

I am heartbroken because despite all these new and exciting things I do have to leave so many great people.  My family, my best friends, my job, my favorite shop, my knittas – we all know it won't be the same but it will be a new opportunity for us all. My friends all call it my "extended vacation". I also like thinking of it as my sabbatical and it's only fitting that I use the tagline of the famous action star former Governor of California, "I'll be back!"

I am nervous. As one of my best friends said to me – change kicks up dust. It requires us to reevaluate what we have going on. Why are we in this job?  Why do we spend our time doing this thing or that? Essentially, what are we doing with our life!?

A "fresh slate" has been put out in front of me.  A new city, a new apartment, a new "plan".  I just need to seize it and hope I choose wisely on whatever path I take. I know a few people in my new city but honestly it will be like starting over in a new school.  New friends! New experiences! Will I have a "lunch table" to sit at?

I've only lived either in NJ or Boston and have visited CA for a total of 4 days.  I have a brother who lives in London who's pretty happy that "I'm seeing the world"- he apparently isn't much of a fan of NJ – while I happen to love it thoroughly.  My parents are happy for us and sad for them.  I told my mom all it means is trips to Napa and Sonoma! Wine always cheers her up.  As for my dad, it only took two words: Pebble Beach.

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, and taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity" – Gilda Radner.

Alright, Gilda, here we go…

29 thoughts on “Tenten’s Big Adventure

1. regina says:

Wow, congrats! I’ve never had the nerve to leave the NY metro area (the only place I’ve ever lived), and I’ve always admired folks who do. The Bay Area is a beautiful, magical place, and while you’ll surely miss your peeps here in the Garden State, you’ll be back for visits, they’ll visit you, and honestly? There’s nothing saying you won’t move back here in the future, right? You’ve got a great attitude, and I’m sure you’ll settle in and make wonderful new friends in no time.

2. Denise says:

Congrats Margaux! Although the news brought a little sigh of sadness for Hoboken to loose such a fine knitter. Do you think Patricia will have a little farewell for you at the store? Let me know, Emily and I would like to stop by and wish you farewell.

3. Kim says:

Big Congrats and how lucky! I’m envious, as I am trying persistently to get the hubs to give ME a clean slate and a new place. Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll love it!!

4. sam says:

That’s GREAT! My aunt lives in the bay area, and I love visiting her. I’m going this summer to do so and I just think it’s the best area…. I’d love to move there. Have fun!

5. ntvi says:

Hi, I just want to de-lurk and congratulate you on this big move. I know it must be hard to leave your family, but you’re moving to one beautiful town. I’m a CA girl and lived in the Bay area for a few years. It’s a fantastic area – great restaurants, great hiking, fantastic wine country, nice people, beautiful landscape, interesting weather, AND good knitting stores. You and your husband will love SF. Don’t be sad! Good luck and check out some SF blogs before you go – there’s quite a few out there.

6. Vicki says:

Good luck and all the best. I haven’t moved in almost 24 years, but before then I was a regular rolling stone. Enjoy and partake in all the new things… adventure, indeed!

7. Jeanie says:

This is exciting. I love living in the “bay area” and I hope you will grow to enjoy it too! Just think, no more snow removal:) Upwards and onward…….
    PS-Lots of great knit shops around:)

8. Shannon says:

Good luck with the move! I’m a Northern California girl myself and I bet you will enjoy the Bay Area. It has lots to offer, in general as well as knitting-wise. Your friends and family will love visiting you there.

9. Judi A says:

You are going to love SF! What a wonderful opportunity for both your husband and you! :-) If I could live anywhere I wanted – and $$ was no object – I would have a place in SF and one in NYC and fly back and forth between the two. :-)

Um yeah, you already know how I feel about this move. My girl is moving to being a car-ride’s distance away from me! Goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway- I’m SOOO exited!! I cannot WAIT to see you! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!
    ps: MJ, I’m making her come to LA one of these days, trust me!

11. Kathy says:

Welcome to (nearly) the best part of the state! You’ll love it out here, I promise. In addition to imagiknits, there is also Article Pract in Oakland, Art fibers in Richmond and a host of other places. The area is so rich in some of the best designers, from a knitting perspective you will love it. If you’re here at the end of February, you can come to Stitches West and dive right in.
    If you love to hike, your close to one the prettiest places on earth, in my opinion. You’ll love it, I promise.

12. LEAH35Mcleod says:

Lots of specialists say that home loans aid a lot of people to live the way they want, just because they can feel free to buy necessary things. Furthermore, various banks present bank loan for all people.