Snow Cowl

Snow Cowl

Bulky yarns are truly in this season. Every catalouge or store I've seen and been to has a vast array of bulky scarves and cowls. Bulky yarns scream cozy, warmth and for a knitter – instant gratification. The temperature in the northeast has gone from 75 to 55 in the last two days. It seems as if we are skipping Fall completely.

I find it a little funny that I'm such a cowl maker this season.  In the past, the ones I've tried just didn't seem to lay right or they weren't snug enough to keep my neck warm.  I purposefully made this cowl oversized so it can be scrunched down much like the Luxe Cowl. I think that's the biggest difference between my older "fail" cowls and my new cowls – the scrunch factor.

I call this my Snow Cowl.

The details:

Yarn: Rowan Big Wool, 2 balls, color Polar
Needles: US 13, 24in circulars

CO 60 stitches -Place Marker and join for working in the round

Rnd 1 & 2: knit
Rnd 3 & 4: *K1, P1* repeat * * to end of round
Rnd 5 & 6: knit
Rnd 7 & 8: *P1, K1* repeat * * to end of round

Work until cowl measures 17inches or until desired length ending with a knit round.

Cast off all stitches.

Snow Cowl

20 thoughts on “Snow Cowl

1. Becky says:

I made your Luxe Cowl with some Rowan that has been sitting around for 5 years in the stash. I’ll post a pic on Ravelry soon. Now with this cowl, I know what to do with the other 2 balls!

2. Michele says:

I think you’re absolutely spot on when it comes to the ‘scrunched down’ factor – it takes the cowl from ‘meh’ to ‘omg where did you get that?’
    I wasn’t sure if big cowls and infinity scarves would be around in NYC this year; however, I’ve been seeing them everywhere :) thank goodness – I love them!
    Thank you so much for sharing your patterns.

3. Tina Festorazie says:

This pattern is adorable….Can you use another bulky yarn for this pattern? If so, could you please give me some suggestions. I live in Ontario, Canada and am unable to find Rowan Big Wool. Thank you so much.

4. windycityvegan says:

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I made both this cowl and the luxe cowl over the past few days – a great way to use up some of my stash for last minute holiday gifts. I’ll post to Ravelry soon!

5. Cheryl says:

yanked out some Lion Brand Wool Ease thick & quick and it is fairly flying off the needles…can’t wait to finish it…..thanks!!!

6. ralph lauren paris says:

Nous sommes un groupe de bénévoles et de commencer un nouveau régime dans notre voisinage. Votre site nous a fourni de précieuses informations pour travailler sur |. Vous avez fait un travail impressionnant!