Do you remember a time when you discovered something new that you can’t imagine having ever lived without?  For starters there’s  indoor plumbing, refrigerators, cell phones, massages… you know the Must Haves.  In knitting it first showed itself in the form of cabling without a cable needle then learning how to knit continental.  I thought I knew it all, until now. I have just recently discovered the magic, the convenience, the necessity of Blocking Wires!

How on earth did I block out lace before them? I haven’t the slightest clue.

These wires made the act of blocking like alchemy.  Turning a pretty organized mess into a divine piece of beauty.

Pattern: Icarus Shawl by Miram Felton in the Summer 06 IK
Yarn: Lornas Laces Helen’s Lace in Cranberry
Needles: Addi Lace Turbos US3
Raveled Here

This shawl began in March and was destined to be a present for my Principal who’s birthday was yesterday.  March to June, PLENTY of time to finish a shawl, right?

Well, I started it strong and then got side tracked by things like cardigans, bucket hats, and a clapotis.  But Icarus just kept quietly growing and growing and to my surprise I was at the start of the charts!  And what charts! There were four of them! With each chart done I kept salivating at the thought of finishing it and on time!   Well, it seems my former boyfriend had to do something so life changing to make me one day late of presenting the shawl to the birthday girl.

He proposed.

A week of whirlwind excitement, dinners with parents and friends and planning, I had to put the near completed shawl down.  It waited while I drank numerous bottles of champagne and toured reception halls only to be picked up here and there and finally finished a day late.  The birthday girl waiting patiently not knowing what I was up to. And did she care about the lateness?

If wearing the shawl all day at work in the 90 degree weather in a non-air conditioned school is a sign then I would say she positively Loved It.

I truly loved making it too and having it be a part of a turning point in my life.  I was in the middle of a row when my fiance(!) called me into to the kitchen needing me to help him "open something."  It’s amazing how something can change so much in one moment.

Like the shawl, my life went from being a beautiful tangle of stitches to a stunning masterpiece transformed by something I cannot imagine my life without – him.

43 thoughts on “Icarus

1. Denise says:

Margaux, when I was your age there was no such thing as: the Internet,cell phones, home computer games like Guitar Hero and I remember we all got along swell without them. But when I was about your age John proposed to me and being married to him is the thing I could never imagine being without.
    Plus I started the icarus shawl last night for a present for Nancy, and her birthday is July 25, think I’ll be done?

Of course you already know how completely stoked I am for you two. And I absolutely love that we get to share this exciting time in our lives together. Yay, yay, yay! Oh, and – Icarus is gorgeous! Congrats again, chica! *mwah!* xo-S.

3. Wanett says:

Whoa! Congratulations! The only thing missing from my engagement story was knitting! How smart of him to make sure you were working on a project when he called you :) He is certainly a keeper.
    That shawl is sooo beautiful. I was all ready to add it to my queue until you mentioned the four charts, lol.

4. nestra says:

Congrats on your engagement.
    The last sentance in your post gave me goosebumps, you have a beautiful way of expressing yourself.

5. jessie says:

What a beautiful story that is knit into the stitches of that shawl – it’s amazing the parallel metaphors you find in life and knitting. And the shawl? Unbelievably beautiful.

6. grumperina says:

Congratulations, girl! I remember the glee so, so well, you must be on top of the world! This Sunday it will be exactly 1 year since my husband proposed, we’ll have a toast for you and your fiance at dinner :).

7. Nurse Jackie says:

Yeah… now everyone knows (in the blogging world)… Your Icarus Shawl has become, yet another, favorite for me. I’ll be in to get my yarn soon! It’s GORGEOUS!

8. Ava says:

Oh, Margaux! As if finishing a shawl that beautiful only to give it away weren’t an accomplishment in and of itself, but the FO shot with the ring . . . congrats to you both (although I know you are supposed to wish the groom-to-be “good luck”). What a wonderful way to start this weekend. You’ll have to cast on another Icarus of your own . . . maybe this time to go with your wedding dress. Congrats again!

9. kendyl says:

Congratulations! I normally just admire your knitting, but today’s post is quite special. You never forget the special moment when your life changes forever.

10. Beverly says:

Congratulations! Your excitement came through in every word. I wish you many happy years filled with love and joy.
    The Icarus is simply beautiful – I’m sure your friend adored it!
    I agree that now you must knit something for your wedding. What an heirloom that would be.

11. Adriana says:

Congratulations!! I recently got engaged too. Isn’t it wonderful? I actually bought my dress yesterday. I wish you joy in your wedding planning and your future together.

12. chrispy says:

What a beautiful post and shawl!
    Congrats on your engagement!
    I want to second the “take time out” during this busy exciting time of planning a wedding and dreaming of your life together in the future.
    Part of me wishes that I had taken somethings less seriously and others more seriously and that I had been knitting. My wedding did make me realize that I needed to knit again. My “you survived your wedding” present that I received upon our return home was yarn (expensive yarn) to knit a sweater I had been dreaming about for a few years.
    Give yourself treats that don’t relate to the wedding because when it is done you sometimes don’t remember what filled your time. Those treats will help your remember those times outside of wedding planning.
    Best blessings for a fun and happy time ahead.

13. Marie says:

When you asked about things you can’t live without my first thought about that for myself was my Beloved! There is nothing like true love – congratulations and enjoy!

14. abby says:

Many, many congratulations! I wish you all the best for the future. (And I just pulled out my long-hibernating Icarus, and you’ve provided some great inspiration!)

15. Nicole says:

Congratulations!!!! I just got engaged on Friday and all the time now it’s “fiance'” this and “fiance'” that. Ha! It just feels so foreign to my mouth.
    Your Icarus is beautiful. The red is stunning.

16. Denise says:

A follow up: this project was killing me, Margaux, KILLING ME. I ended up just making a largish shawl/scarf using the first pattern and making some pointy lace at the end and finishing it with some beads. So technically it’s done by Nancy’s birthday but it is definately a hybrid.
    KILLING ME. Honest.