Yes! welll no, oh I don’t know

It’s almost the weekend and actually I’ve already begun mine as I took the day off today to enjoy a 4 day weekend… knitting has been pretty non-existent this week and it’s beginning to show in my psyche.

I feel fuller and happier when I have something on the needles.  Does that happen to anyone else?  I really feel a bit bummed out right now that there’s no project that currently is making me want to knit it 24.7.   Of course I have my next couple of projects in my head that I want to do but I haven’t the time to get the yarn and start it up!

So in the meantime, I keep looking at my stash trying to resurrect old projects but every time I try to psych myself into it I lose it in the second breath.  Take, Glasgow Lace.

Now, this is a project that has been collecting dust for God only knows how long.  I bought the required yarn, Plymouth Royal Cashmere (!) a long time ago and after having a few chaotic sessions with a huge KNOT (trying to ball it up – has anyone else bought this yarn and found it ridiculous hard to just ball??) I just put it away and let it go.  It’s been a year or more later, I whip out the yarn and pattern and feel well – that maybe I’ve outgrown it or my taste is different.

The lace patterning is what caught my eye when I  first saw it in the Fall 06 IK. I don’t like the truncated look and would lengthen it as well as have the ribbing on the neck be sewn to the back and not just hanging there which makes me think it’s unfinished.   I just don’t feel the "omg, i have to knit this sweater" but at the same time I think it would make a great project to practice modifications.  Basically out of 1 to 10 and 10 being "i want to cast this on Yesterday" I’m feeling like a 5.

What I guess I’m getting at is, have you ever felt that way about a knit… like you’ve outgrown it but can’t quite let it go just yet?

Sorry for the ‘waa waa" indecisive post.  I just feel in that weird  knitter’s limbo today – I’ve got all this yarn and nothing to knit!  And yet, once my LYS come back from vacation it’s Knitted Yolk and Phildar Sweater #1 time, so perhaps the real answer to this is simple patience.

12 thoughts on “Yes! welll no, oh I don’t know

1. stacey says:

I’d probably let it go – to spend all that time and effort on something you don’t loooooove – probably not worth it. What about starting something small and stash busting to tide you over until the LYS opens up again?

2. Christine says:

I say skip that one – maybe destash it to someone else who will be more excited. It seems like the perfect time for a scarf, sock or mittens ;)

3. Kim says:

I’ve fallen out of love with too many sweaters I’ve started. The worst is a very expensive kit I bought for a cardigan made out of prism yarns. Still trying to decide what to do with that thing.

4. mai says:

you’re right. it does look unfinished with the neckband like that. and it is too short, but the stitch is definitely a pretty one!
    anyway, i used to be a knitting monogamist, but more recently, i have gotten bored with a few different projects. i wish i could find the motivation to finish them all, but they’re just not grabbing my attention anymore! and i’m also too lazy to frog! looks like i’m SOL.

5. Julie says:

I completely understand how you feel- I’m working away on the VK Capecho, despite the nagging feeling that I’m investing a lot of time & energy in something I’ll never wear. And as much as I totally want to encourage you on Glasgow Lace (I think it’s gorgeous! And yup, some slight mods and a much longer sweater would be brilliant)my vote is to keep it in storage for a while longer, see how you feel in a nother 6 months or so.

6. Denise says:

I too think about doing this sweater, and agree that the proportions are just wrong. But the lace is great. what if you used the lace pattern, but made it a hip length cap tee like one of the other ones you made? That style looks great on you and can be suitable for work or play. I am away in Maine this week, back on Monday, with a lot of finished objects and great knitting pictures.

I have totally felt like that. I do think patience is the key–you will find a project that excites you soon enough. It is not worth it to start something you are so so about. Cast on for a mini-project like a hat or small purse while you are waiting. Good luck!

8. Amy says:

I think with some serious waist decreasing, a full neck of rib, and a bit more lenth, Glasgow will be *STUNNING*.
    But, absolutely don’t cast on for something you’re not excited about. It’ll color the whole project, in my experience. Wait until you’re excited again, which could totally happen. When does your LYS open again?

9. nova says:

I vote patience. You don’t want to feel “meh” about a pattern while you are knitting it…it may never get done. Wait until you can devote your time to something you love, right now, this very second!