hand me a banana

January weather has arrived. It is currently 29 degrees outside. There apparently was a flurry last night but I didn’t see it.  Despite the fact that the warm weather made me nervous about global warming and NYC going underwater because of the ice caps melting, I kinda loved having that warmer weather.  But now that it’s colder I can now enjoy knitting inside without feeling guity I’m not taking advantage of our Indian Winter.

central park hoodie

My CP is now to large to lug around with me. The fronts and back are done and now it’s all about the sleeves.  Brilliant Cara is planning on doing hers in one piece.  A great move that I didn’t consider. It will be good seaming practice for me but if I make another I will so combine them.  With my quick progress on CP I found myself without a transportable knit on the needles… what was I do to but to cast on some Socks!

(I took the pics inside around 5ish so the lighting is a bit dark.) These are the Monkey pattern from the current issue of Knitty.  The yarn is STR in Prove it All Night.  I’m using size 1 addis (the pattern called for size 2s) and I might be moving it down to 0s.  So far I love how it’s coming out! It may be a tad on the bigger side but I can’t really decide since it’s just two repeats in.  The pattern is pretty simple and memorizeable once you get it going.

I’m also loving the color of this yarn!  It’s got subtle color change from the pinks, reds to greys… not to mention how I have that song stuck in my head as I knit with it. I know I’ll be swinging from the trees when these are done.

I was showing my knit group last night and a bunch of them hadn’t knit socks yet.  What’s exciting about that is I might be teaching a sock class at the shop!  It amazes me how far I’ve come as a knitter.  From back in the winter of ’03 sitting patiently with my Stitch N’ Bitch book to now being a potential bonafide teacher of the craft.  Who freakin’ knew?

10 thoughts on “hand me a banana

1. Dorre says:

I am so cracking up because I just cast on for monkey in STR prove it all night. Then went on to check some blogs and knit on my sock and I see my sock on your blog… That is totally creepy, in a good way. =)

2. abby says:

It looks like everyone is starting the Monkey socks! It will be fun to watch them grow all over. I just can’t decide what to do with my STR Lagoon because I know that it has to be special…

3. stacey says:

I giggled at the title of the post. After reading, I now get it. The color of the socks are great – very berry-ish. It’s neat to see yourself progress as a knitter. I remember it took me about 3 hours to turn my first heel. I just didnt’ get it. Now, it’s second nature…

4. Brenda says:

Congratulations on your knitting progress! I like the STR Prove it All Night. I want to make Monkey socks, but have a couple other pairs to finish first, like my first pair of Jaywalkers (I’m so behind the curve!).

5. Nery says:

I am new to your blog but I have to say, I like what I see. Nice to know that you have progressed so well. I haven’t knit a sock yet. I am still working on simple projects but I will challenge myself this year, even join the party start a blog! Thanks for the inspiration! BTW, Malabrigo has a colorway, Stonechat, similar to this. Just in case you want to check it out. It’s beautiful! :)

6. Kenny says:

Wow, that STR color is awesome! Thanks for checking out my blog. how did you find me?
    You’re also a very good photographer. I like the way you photograph.
    What yarn is the CP hoodie? Is that the Classic Elite?
    What’s a woosie?